Old Content Warning
This post is very old (it was published 3 years ago), so I can't vouch for its content or accuracy. It may be here for posterity. Please take its content with a pinch of salt.
Newer Version Available
This is the old version of Splooshe (now Estranged
). The latest one is here
This post will show you how to download and install Splooshe. Please bear in mind that the game is far from finished, and any feedback at all is greatly appreciated to help with the development process.
Splooshe is a zombie apocalypse themed game, a linear story experience created, designed and voiced by me.
For system requirements, see this page.
Note: The game ends when the screen fades out, and the main menu is shown.
If You Have Steam
If you already have Steam installed, download the installer below. Once you've installed Splooshe, restart Steam. There will be an entry for it on your Steam games list.
Double click the mod there, and Steam will either download the appropriate SDK files (about 3GB of data) to play, or will launch Splooshe if you already have the files needed.
If You Don't Have Steam
You will need to download it.
- Navigate to http://store.steampowered.com/about/, and click the "Install Steam Now" link.
- Once Steam has installed, it will run for the first time. You will need to create an account to log onto Steam.
- If you have created an account and Steam has loaded up, close it by right-clicking the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen, and clicking "Exit".
- Download the Splooshe installer from here: Splooshe-240811.exe
- Run the installer, and wait for it to complete.
- Start Steam again, and Splooshe should now be showing in the games list on the Library section.
- Click the "Play" button to start Splooshe, and Steam will begin downloading the files needed for it to run (which is about 3GB of data).
- Once that is finished downloading, you will be able to launch Splooshe by clicking the "Play" button. It's recommended that you close all other programs before running the game.
I'd appreciate feedback on the levels I have created so far. Some example pointers:
- Level glitches, impassable terrain
- Out of place things in levels
- Places where the game is too choppy or slow to play
- Things in levels that aren't properly explained to you
- Places where you get stuck
- ... and anything else that you'd like to comment on.
Feedback Received So Far (spoilers!)
- ✓ Ladders needed to climb up onto wooden jetties
- ✓ Boat separating from quay rope (add physical constraint)
- ✓ Ladder too far away from model? (first hut)
- ✓ Cardboard boxes no-colliding, bit odd (remove or collide with player)
- ✓ Can shoot lock on fence leading to warehouse (replace with boards)
- ✓ Hutman should not say doesn’t have enough room, should say might be infected
- ✓ Generator too quiet? (not THAT important)
- Hutman needs to gesticulate more
- ✓ Add note to window saying "switch levers in office" & sign above handles
- Jumps a little far? Fast?
- ✓ Boxes move around too much, not sturdy enough to stand on
- Grenade not properly guided into the postal chute
- ✓ Physics objects don't collide with the mesh fence on the quay
- ✓ Hutman ushering you out is a bit odd, see earlier point, or needs to be more twitchy
- ✓ Torch can't be picked up, a little confusing.
- ✓ Train puzzle needs some improvement, multiple people getting stuck
- ✓ Sand dunes facing the wrong direction
- ✓ Can get to fenced area - http://i.imgur.com/6cXxC.jpg
- ✓ Can fall into the middle of rocks, get stuck (re last point)
- ✓ If starting with second chapter, gun isn't given to player
fps_max set to 300 - not necessary. Shipping with 60 next time
- ✓ Objects that you tie boats to on the pier are no-collide - unecessary
- ✓ Some issues with geometry missing near the warehouse
- ✓ Can swim underneath map geometry and get stuck
- ✓ Needs auto-save points
- ✓ Can't kill hutman
- ✓ Hutman doesn't react when you break his stuff
- ✓ No second chapter background image or background map
Items with a ✓ character next to them have been addressed, and will be fixed in the next version of the game. The version above however still has these bugs.
To give feedback, you can email me, comment below or message me on Twitter. It doesn't have to be technical - can be anything at all that you don't think is right.